Thursday, December 17, 2009

Jewish Comfort Food - Matzo Brei

Dec 17, 2009 
from Oswald at Large by Oswald Rivera

As our Jewish brethren head toward the eighth day of Chanukah, I keep thinking of my favorite Jewish comfort foods. I've already posted on potato latkes, the traditional dish during the Festival of Lights, and kasha varnishkes, which we in the Rivera family love to eat. My other favorite is matzo brei. Traditionally you enjoy this during Passover. However, we make it all the time. It's my wife's favorite pick-me-up. Easy, quick, and scrumptious.

In my version of matzo brei, I add onion to it (which is not traditional as far as I know, but it does enhance the flavor). Matzo brei can be prepared two ways: either scrambled (which I prefer), or as a whole frittata-like omelet. It is served with sugar sprinkled over it or jelly.

MATZO BREI

4 matzos
4 large eggs, beaten
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 medium onion, thinly sliced in rounds
3-5 tablespoons olive oil or margarine

1. Break matzos into small pieces, and place in a bowl.
2. Cover with hot water for about a minute or two. Then gently squeeze out the water.
3. Add eggs, salt, pepper, and onion. Mix well with a fork.
4. Heat oil or margarine in a heavy 10-to-12-inch skillet or frying pan. Add matzo mixture and fry over medium heat, stirring constantly until eggs are scrambled and matzo begins to crisp, about 3 minutes. Or you can brown the entire matzo mixture on one side. Then turn over with a spatula and brown on the other side (figure about 4-5 minutes per side).
Yield: 4 servings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home