Monday, March 1, 2010

Tuna Fish Casserole - The Old Standby

March 1, 2010
from Oswald at Large by Oswald Rivera


Back in my youth, me and my dear friend, Paul Goldstein, use to share a place in the Bronx, not far from the Concourse. During our lean periods, we would have his famous tuna casserole which would keep us going until the next payday came in.

Today, my salad days are behind me but, once in a while, my wife and I prepare a tuna fish casserole which harkens back to those days of my young manhood. Actually, this dish is a great American invention if there ever was one; the best, quick pick me up meal I can think of. It's easy to make, filling and nutritious. I'm sure there are as many tuna fish casserole recipes as there are grains in the sand. Yet, my limited palate considers Pablo's creation to be among the best. And it is given below. So, the next time your significant other, or the kids, or any one else in the family, yearns for something fast and good, nothing beat this old standby.

PALIBACHI'S TUNA FISH CASSEROLE

2 5-ounce cans tuna fish
1 package egg noodles
1 can Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
1 can Campbell's cream of golden mushroom soup (absolutely need 2 different ones)
1 10-ounce package frozen peas and carrots
12 slices of Kraft American cheese or cheese of your choice
2 eggs
1 medium green bell pepper (pimento), sliced in rounds being careful to remove seeds
and fibers
1 tomato, sliced in rounds
Ground cinnamon to taste

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Cook egg noodles according to package directions, drain, rinse, and place in a large Pyrex or glass bowl.
3. Add both cans of soup. DO NOT ADD WATER. Drain tuna fish and add to bowl along with the peas and carrots. Add the eggs and mix well.
4. Add cheese slices so that they cover the top but leaving an open space in the middle of the casserole. Top with alternate slices of tomato and green pepper. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Bake for 30 minutes (max).
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home